ForumsSolo 401kHow to request EIN for a LLC under solo401k trust?

Forums Solo 401k How to request EIN for a LLC under solo401k trust?

• How to request EIN for a LLC under solo401k trust?

7 Replies
  • John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k
    Top ForumsSolo 401k

John Dembrowsky

John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k

July 23, 2021 at 10:24 am

Hello all,

Anyone know the best way to request an EIN from the IRS for a LLC which is under a solo401k Trust? When I go through the stages of the EIN request on the IRS website it isn’t clear to me. It looks like I need to put my name and SS# down as the responsible person and that I should also put myself down as the third party designee. I see no area to refer to the Solo401k trust nor the trust’s EIN instead of my social. If it can’t happen via the website and one has to use SS-4, I see the same issue. Anyone do this before or know how the request is supposed to be filled out and submitted?

Thanks for the guidance!

John Dembrowsky
  • George Blower

Top SubjectPrivate: My Community Webinars,Mega Backdoor Roth Solo 401k
    Top ForumsPrivate: My Community Webinars, Mega Backdoor Roth Solo 401k

George Blower

George Blower

Top SubjectPrivate: My Community Webinars,Mega Backdoor Roth Solo 401k

July 24, 2021 at 9:04 am

Correct – the EIN needs to be applied under the name and SSN of the beneficial owner (I.e. you). The EIN requirements changed a couple years back to require that the EIN be applied for under the name of a natural person (and can no longer be applied for under the EIN of an entity).

• John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k
    Top ForumsSolo 401k

John Dembrowsky

John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k

July 30, 2021 at 1:47 pm

I tried it online and the online system kicked it out. The system said to call the IRS direct . I called and the agent couldn’t help. She said to fax in ss-4 which I did. No reply from them yet.

John Dembrowsky
  • John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k
    Top ForumsSolo 401k

John Dembrowsky

John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k

July 30, 2021 at 2:31 pm

I was told to call 800.829.4933 and use reference code 101. She said it would take 4-5 days for a reply to the fax but it’s been longer than that by now.

John Dembrowsky
  • John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k
    Top ForumsSolo 401k

John Dembrowsky

John Dembrowsky

Top SubjectSolo 401k

August 10, 2021 at 8:24 am

After submitting ss4 via fax, I heard back from the IRS via mail.

They issued an EIN for the LLC but…. the address it was mailed to listed the correct LLC but with me in the address as the sole member. Shouldn’t my solo401k trust be the sole member and not me personally? Do just I handle this the way I report any tax info or do I need to contact the IRS to try to change the sole member?

John Dembrowsky

Related Blog Posts