• Issue with Solo 401k Sub-Accounts at Fidelity

Martin P replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 7 Posts
  • 6 Replies
  • Top SubjectSolo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions
    Top ForumsSolo 401k, Solo 401k Contributions

Kris White
    Top SubjectSolo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions

June 20, 2022 at 1:04 am

I have 3 solo 401k sub-accounts at Fidelity. I can see the sub-accounts and balances when I log in (same login I use for my other Fidelity accounts) but I am unable to access them for trading. When I click “Trade” and then “Select Account,” the solo 401k sub-accounts are not available, but my other Fidelity accounts are.

Tech support said when the 3 sub-accounts we set up, they didn’t use my SSN as the trustee, and instead used what they call an “internal number.” They used two different internal numbers – one for the after-tax and Roth sub-accounts, and another one for the pretax sub-account. So to transact with these sub-accounts, I have to use separate Fidelity logins.

They couldn’t explain why it was set up this way but they offered to switch those internal trustee numbers over to my SSN which would allow me to manage everything from a single login. However, all previous statements for those sub-accounts will be lost.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Is it ok to switch the internal numbers over to my SSN? Are there any long-term implications with regard to losing access to previous statements? Anything else I should be aware of?

• George Blower

Top SubjectSolo 401k,Daily Live Webinar
    Top ForumsSolo 401k, Daily Live Webinar

George Blower

George Blower

Top SubjectSolo 401k,Daily Live Webinar

June 21, 2022 at 3:39 am

@KrisWhite

Top SubjectSolo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions

Thanks for your post!

1) In setting up the account and for security purposes, Fidelity may assign a proxy number in place of your SSN (referred to by Fidelity as a “G Number”).

In order to be able to trade on the account, one simply needs to contact Fidelity (by phone or secure message) and request that the G-Number be changed to one’s social security number.

For example, one could log in to one’s Fidelity account and then send the following secure message:

“I am unable to trade on my newly established Non-prototype accounts. Please update the G-number assigned to my accounts to my Social Security number so I am able to trade. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.”

2) While we have not heard from others that changing the G-Number would cause one to lose access to the statements (e.g. it is possible that the information is not accurate), one could simply download all statements prior to the change to ensure that access is not lost.

• Top SubjectSolo 401k Contributions,Solo 401k
    Top ForumsSolo 401k Contributions, Solo 401k

Martin P
    Top SubjectSolo 401k Contributions,Solo 401k

November 22, 2022 at 12:37 pm

Thank you for this thread. Exactly the same problem here with exactly the same solution, so much less inconvenient than it might otherwise have been.

Martin P

Related Blog Posts