ForumsRollover Funds into Solo 401kSEP-IRA Direct Rollover to Solo 401(k) Then Use Pre-Tax Funds

Forums Solo 401k Rollover Funds into Solo 401k SEP-IRA Direct Rollover to Solo 401(k) Then Use Pre-Tax Funds

• SEP-IRA Direct Rollover to Solo 401(k) Then Use Pre-Tax Funds

Mark Nolan replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • 2 Replies
  • Top SubjectRollover Funds into Solo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions
    Top ForumsRollover Funds into Solo 401k, Solo 401k Contributions

MICHAEL A.
    Top SubjectRollover Funds into Solo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions

February 22, 2024 at 1:04 pm

Good Day Everyone:

First and Foremost, thank you to Mark and George, plus all of their helpers. Your company provides a very valuable service. In the spirit of continuing to provide that value, I respectfully ask the following questions:

Fact Pattern

Opened a Solo 401(k) through My Solo 401(k) Financial several years ago and have been funding it with Mega Backdoor Roth contributions (all Roth) at a major brokerage house (# 1). Also own a SEP-IRA at another of the big brokerage houses (# 2). Questions:

A. Even though the SEP-IRA is pre-tax but is not a pre-tax 401(k) account, can I roll the SEP-IRA balance into my Solo 401(k) maintained by your company?

B. Assuming the answer to A. above is that a pre-tax to pre-tax direct rollover is allowed tax and penalty free regardless of designation as a SEP-IRA (pre-transfer) to 401(k) (pre-tax sub-account but not designated as SEP-IRA), can pre-tax account money that then resides in brokerage house #2 (since all moved over from #1 to #2 into a pre-tax sub-account) then be used to make traditional loans to unrelated third parties?

Thanks a Ton !

MICHAEL A.
  • Top SubjectRollover Funds into Solo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions
    Top ForumsRollover Funds into Solo 401k, Solo 401k Contributions

MICHAEL A.
    Top SubjectRollover Funds into Solo 401k,Solo 401k Contributions

February 22, 2024 at 1:12 pm

Oops! Small correction to the narrative/questions below as originally written and posted: Brokerage house #1 holds the pre-tax SEP-IRA balance. Brokerage house #2 holds three sub-accounts, all designated according to Mega Backdoor Roth protocol.

Restated questions: Is movement of all or part of SEP-IRA to a pre-tax 401(k) sub-account (that is clearly not an IRA account but instead a pre-tax 401(k) account) an OK thing to do without tax or penalty? Secondly, can one then use pre-tax money that has been moved into the Solo 401(k) to make loans to unrelated third parties?

Thank You. . .a BUNCH!

MICHAEL A.

Related Blog Posts